Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Least Among Us

Mt 25:42-45
for I was hungry, and ye did not give me to eat; I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink;
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in; naked, and ye clothed me not; sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not unto one of these least, ye did it not unto me.

Lk 9:48
Whosoever shall receive this little child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same is great.
From the American Standard Version

Those words were spoken thousands of years ago by Jesus Christ. Believe what you will, but they have a special meaning today, in this economy, at this point in history.

The the word "least" in the original Greek means "small in size, quantity, number, or dignity." Websters Student Dictionary defines dignity as follows - "the quality of being worthy, noble or stately appearance or manner, high rank or position."

The word "among" is defined as - in the company of, together with.

Two words, least and among, should be the watch words of every man, woman , and child in the current and future economy. We are among the least everywhere we go, all day long, all night long. They are not limited to family, friends, neighbors, etc. Every minute you move, you encounter new or different members of the least among us. What Jesus told his followers above and those through out history and beyond, is not to look through a narrow tunnel. The people we help are those closest to us at anytime.

The above two verses are a challenge as much advice. Throughout history, there have been fewer believers than than non believers. We aren't called to help only those we like or who like us. Those two verses did not say to be selective. They include those with whom we are angry or are angry with us, who have wronged in the past, as well as those we don't know but have encountered.

No comments:

Post a Comment